Point of Sale (POS) equipment is the computer-based order-entry technology many restaurants use to capture orders, record data and display or print tickets. Restaurant servers, bartenders and cashiers can all use POS systems to easily enter food and beverage orders.
The POS acts as a cash register as well as a computer. In fact, the POS can consist of multiple stations, including credit card terminals, receipt printers, display screens, hostess stations and server stations. Having a POS system in place can add convenience, accuracy and save time in busy situations. In fact, is has the ability to perform a multitude of functions, including the following:
- Calculate cash due for every order entered.
- Record the method of payment.
- Keep track of the cash in the cash drawer.
- Create hourly and daily sales reports.
- Allow hourly employees to clock in and out.
- Calculate labor and payroll data.
- Record daily check averages for each worker.
- Keep track of menu items sold.
- Record information on repeat customers.